The Bureau requires manufacturers to make upholstered furniture and bedding products sold in California flame-retardant. In the event of a residential fire, these products act as a significant fuel source and are difficult to extinguish once ignited. The Bureau measures flame retardance in accordance with flammability standards developed by the Bureau or the United States, Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC).
Since 1975, the Bureau has developed several flammability standards, called technical bulletins. These performance-based standards do not prescribe the use of flame-retardant chemicals, manufacturing methods, or specific materials to meet the standards. The Bureau encourages the industry to use innovative solutions and products to achieve flame resistance without compromising the environment. Manufacturers must strictly adhere to state and federal laws governing the manufacture and sale of upholstered furniture and bedding products.
The following flammability standards pertain to upholstered furniture and bedding products sold in California. For detailed information on requirements and test procedures pertaining to the various standards, please click on the following links.
- Technical Bulletin 604 - Notice of Suspension of Flammability Test Method for Bedclothing Products
- Technical Bulletin 26 - Requirements for Record Keeping and Prototype Testing of Mattresses for Compliance with State and Federal Flammability Laws. Questions and Answers about the Amended Mattress Flammability Standard 16 CFR 1632 (FF 4-72)
- Technical Bulletin 116 - Requirements, Test Procedure and Apparatus for Testing the Flame Retardance of Upholstered Furniture
- Technical Bulletin 117 - Requirements, Test Procedures and Apparatus for Testing the Flame Retardance of Resilient Filling Materials Used in Upholstered Furniture.
- Technical Bulletin 121 - Flammability Test Procedure for Mattresses for Use in High Risk Occupancies
- Technical Bulletin 129 - Flammability Test Procedure for Mattresses for Use in Public Buildings
- Technical Bulletin 133 - Flammability Test Procedure for Seating Furniture for Use in Public Occupancies
- 16 CFR 1632 - Standard for the Flammability (Cigarette Ignition Resistance) of Mattresses and Matress Pads
- 16 CFR 1633 - Standard for the Flammability (Open Flame) of Mattress Sets (Effective July 1, 2007)